Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films Of Shinya Tsukamoto Blu-ray Box Set in May From Arrow Video US
Source: Arrow Video US, MVD Entertainment Group press release
Special Thanks to Clint Weiler
On May 26th, Arrow Video US will release the Blu-ray box set Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films Of Shinya Tsukamoto.
One of the most distinctive and celebrated names in modern Japanese cinema, there’s no other filmmaker quite like Shinya Tsukamoto. Since his early days as a teenager making Super 8 shorts, he has remained steadfastly independent, garnering widespread acclaim while honing his own unique and instantly recognizable aesthetic on the margins of the industry. Frequently exploring themes of urban alienation, physical transformation and psychosexual obsession, his films cross genre boundaries, defying straightforward classification.
This exclusive collection gathers together eight feature-length films and two shorts from Tsukamoto’s diverse filmography, including his most recent offering — his samurai drama KILLING (斬, Zan, 2018), making its home video premiere. Includes: TETSUO: THE IRON MAN (鉄男, 1989), TETSUO II: BODY HAMMER (鉄男 II BODY HAMMER, 1992), TOKYO FIST (東京フィスト, Tōkyō Fisuto, 1995), BULLET BALLET (バレット・バレエ, Baretto Barē, 1998), A SNAKE OF JUNE (六月の蛇, Rokugatsu no Hebi, 2002), VITAL (ヴィタール, Vuitāru, 2004), KOTOKO (ことこ, 2011), KILLING, THE ADVENTURE OF DENCHU-KOZO (電柱小僧の冒険, Denchu Kozou no Boken, 1987) and HAZE (ヘイズ, Heizu, 2005).
Street Date: 05/26/20
Label: Arrow Video
Run Time: 754 mins
Number of Discs: 4
Region Code: 0
• High Definition Blu-ray™ (1080p) presentations of all ten films
• Original lossless PCM 1.0 mono audio on TETSUO: THE IRON MAN, TETSUO II: BODY HAMMER, and TOKYO FIST
• Original lossless PCM 2.0 stereo audio on BULLET BALLET and Haze
• Original lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 on A SNAKE OF JUNE, VITAL, KOTOKO and KILLING
• Optional lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 on BULLET BALLET
• Optional English subtitles for all films
• Audio commentaries by Japanese cinema expert Tom Mes on all ten films, including brand new commentaries on TETSUO, TETSUO II, TOKYO FIST, A SNAKE OF JUNE, KOTOKO, KILLING, THE ADVENTURE OF DENCHU-KOZO and HAZE
• Brand new career-spanning interview with Shinya Tsukamoto
• An Assault on the Senses, a brand new visual essay on the films and style of Shinya Tsukamoto by Japanese cinema expert Jasper Sharp
• Multiple archival interviews with Shinya Tsukamoto, covering every film in the collection
• Shooting A SNAKE OF JUNE, an archival behind-the-scenes featurette on the film’s production
• Archival The Making of VITAL featurette
• Archival behind-the-scenes featurette on VITAL’s world premiere at the Venice Film Festival
• Archival featurette on VITAL’s special effects
• The Making of HAZE, an archival behind-the-scenes featurette on the film’s production
• Kaori Fuji at the Locarno Film Festival, an archival featurette focusing on HAZE’s lead actress
• Archival Background to THE ADVENTURE OF DENCHU-KOZO featurette
• TOKYO FIST, BULLET BALLET and VITAL music clips
• Multiple trailers and image galleries
• Limited edition packaging featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx, Gary Pullin, Ian MacEwan, Chris Malbon, Jacob Phillips, Tommy Pocket, Peter Strain and Tony Stella
• Double-sided fold-out poster
• Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the films by Kat Ellinger, Jasper Sharp and Mark Schilling
About MVD Entertainment Group
MVD Entertainment Group is a full service music and movie distribution firm, exclusively representing thousands of audio and visual products for DVD, Bluray, CD, vinyl, and digital rights, worldwide. MVD also exclusively distributes a growing line of merchandise including limited edition collectibles, tee shirts, and more.
“Serving Artists and Audiences” is MVD’s purpose statement; it represents a commitment to the interests of the musicians, filmmakers, record labels, producers, managers, and every link in the supply chain. The customers are the Audience, from wholesalers, sub-distributors, major retail chains, online retailers, specialists, and independent mom and pop stores, all the way to the consumer.
MVD Entertainment Group was founded in 1986 by Tom Seaman, an industry veteran with prior experience with The Record Hunter, Sam Goody, CBS Retail, and JEM Distribution. Tom, along with his family Elinor, Eve and Ed, initially focused on music videotapes.
At the turn of the century, with the advent of DVD, MVD built a large catalog of exclusively distributed audiovisual content on DVD’s, with special strength in music concert films, horror movies, documentaries, comedy, cult classics, and much more.