GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Update: The World’s Greatest Monsters Converge on the World’s Tallest Building
Dubai’s Stunning 160-Story Burj Khalifa Lights Up with Moving Images of Godzilla, Ghidorah, Mothra and Rodan as Godzilla’s Mighty Roar Pierces the Night
Source: Warner Bros. Pictures press release
Official Site: godzillamovie.com (US), godzilla-movie.jp (Japan)
Official Twitter: #GodzillaMovie
Special Thanks to Melanie Klein
In anticipation of the Dubai opening of Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures’ GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS, four of the most awe-inspiring monsters the world has ever known took over the world’s tallest building — the magnificent Burj Khalifa — to showcase the film’s incredible visuals and audio on a massive scale.
On May 28th, beginning at 9:35 p.m. local time (10:35 a.m. PDT), the towering Burj Khalifa in Dubai came to life as giant moving images of the three-headed Ghidorah, the winged Mothra, the fiery Rodan and, finally, the king himself, Godzilla, appeared on its soaring structure. The one-time event marks the first time Godzilla has been presented on such a massive scale, physically approaching his purported actual size (393 feet tall).
Spectacular effects heralded the arrival of the enormous stars of GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS — making the building appear to shake and shatter, followed by dazzling VFX of lightning bolts, falling water, smoke, debris and flames—as each of the titans emerged. Adding sound to fury, music from the film’s score and, of course, Godzilla’s fearsome roar underscored the event.
About Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Following the global success of GODZILLA and KONG: SKULL ISLAND comes the next chapter in Warner Bros. Pictures’ and Legendary Pictures’ cinematic Monsterverse: GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS. Directed by Michael Dougherty (KRAMPUS) from a script he wrote with Zach Shields, based on the character “Godzilla” owned and created by TOHO CO., LTD. The new story follows the heroic efforts of the crypto-zoological agency Monarch as its members face off against a battery of god-sized monsters, including the mighty Godzilla, who collides with Mothra, Rodan, and his ultimate nemesis, the three-headed King Ghidorah. When these ancient super-species — thought to be mere myths — rise again, they all vie for supremacy, leaving humanity’s very existence hanging in the balance.
GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS stars Kyle Chandler (THE WOLF OF WALL STREET, MANCHESTER BY THE SEA); Oscar nominee Vera Farmiga (UP IN THE AIR, THE CONJURING films), Millie Bobby Brown (STRANGER THINGS) in her feature film debut; Bradley Whitford (GET OUT); Oscar nominee Sally Hawkins (THE SHAPE OF WATER, BLUE JASMINE, GODZILLA); Charles Dance (HBO’s GAME OF THRONES); Thomas Middleditch (HBO’s SILICON VALLEY); Aisha Hinds (STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS); O’Shea Jackson Jr. (STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON); Oscar nominee David Strathairn (GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK, GODZILLA), with Oscar nominee Ken Watanabe (THE LAST SAMURAI, GODZILLA) and Golden Globe nominee Ziyi Zhang (MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA, CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON).
The film was produced by Mary Parent, Alex Garcia, Thomas Tull, Jon Jashni and Brian Rogers, with Zach Shields, Barry Waldman, Hiro Matsuoka, Keiji Ota, Yoshimitsu Banno and Kenji Okuhira serving as executive producers, and Ali Mendes and Jay Ashenfelter co-producing for Legendary. A presentation of Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures, in association with Toho Co. Ltd., GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS hits theaters worldwide beginning May 31, 2019. It will be distributed in 3D and 2D and IMAX by Warner Bros. Pictures, except in Japan, where it will be distributed by Toho; and in China, where it will be distributed by Legendary East.
The film has been rated PG-13 for sequences of monster action, violence and destruction, and for some language.
About Burj Khalifa
The Burj Khalifa is the world’s tallest building, a global icon and a feat of engineering. Truly a marvel of not just engineering but also imagination and design, the 828m Burj Khalifa has drawn visitors from all over the world since its opening in 2010. This magnificent building is the conceptual heart and soul of the city of Dubai — inspiring the viewer to imagine new possibilities.
About Warner Bros. Pictures
Warner Bros. Pictures has been at the forefront of the motion picture industry since its inception and continues to be a leading creative force in the industry.
Warner Bros. Pictures produces and distributes a wide-ranging slate of some 18-22 films each year, employing a business paradigm that mitigates risk while maximizing productivity and capital. Warner Bros. Pictures either fully finances or co-finances the films it produces and maintains worldwide distribution rights. It further monetizes its distribution and marketing operations by distributing films that are totally financed and produced by others. Current multi-faceted co-financing joint ventures include those with Village Roadshow Pictures and RatPac-Dune Entertainment. Warner Bros. Pictures also has a distribution, co-financing deal with Alcon Entertainment.
About Legendary Entertainment
Legendary Entertainment is a leading media company with film (Legendary Pictures), television and digital (Legendary Television and Digital Media) and comics (Legendary Comics) divisions dedicated to owning, producing and delivering content to worldwide audiences. Legendary has built a library of marquee media properties and has established itself as a trusted brand which consistently delivers high-quality, commercial entertainment including some of the world’s most popular intellectual property. In aggregate, Legendary Pictures-associated productions have realized grosses of more than $14 billion worldwide at the box office. To learn more visit legendary.com.
About Toho Company. Ltd.
Founded in 1932, Toho Co., Ltd. is one of the leading entertainment conglomerates in Japan. Toho is best known worldwide as the producer of the Godzilla films, as well as most of the films by the world-renowned director, Akira Kurosawa. Besides film production, Toho also distributes Japanese films (earning the highest box office receipts for decades in Japan) as well as foreign films through its subsidiary, owns first class movie theaters throughout Japan, produces legitimate plays and musicals, and has more than 100 entertainment-related subsidiaries.
For more information on GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS, please see the earlier coverage here on SciFi Japan:
- Warner Bros. Pictures’ and Legendary Pictures’ MonsterVerse Kicks Into Gear as the Next Godzilla Feature Gets Underway
- GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Trailer and Production Info From Warner Bros.
- GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Official Photos From Warner Bros.
- New GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Poster From Warner Bros. Pictures
- New GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Trailer From Warner Bros. Pictures
- New GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Monster Posters From Warner Bros. Pictures
- GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Figures From NECA
- JAKKS Pacific Globally Launches New Godzilla Toys Inspired by Warner Bros. Pictures’ and Legendary Entertainment’s GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS
- More GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Figures From NECA
- GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Figures From Bandai
- GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS TV Spot 2 From Warner Bros. Pictures
- GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Titan Books Press Release
- GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS To Be Shown in ScreenX Format
- GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Product Line From JAKKS Pacific
- GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS TV Spot 3 “Intimidation” From Warner Bros. Pictures
- Win The GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Giant Godzilla Figure From JAKKS Pacific!
- Win The GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Godzilla Electronic Mask From JAKKS Pacific!
- GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS TV Spot 4 “Beautiful” From Warner Bros. Pictures
- GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS – 3 New TV Spots From Warner Bros. Pictures!
- New GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Poster From Warner Bros. Pictures
- GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Final Trailer From Warner Bros. Pictures!
- GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Press Release
- GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Japanese Press Notes, Photos and Logo From Toho
- GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Final Credits
- GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS “Knock You Out – Exclusive Final Look” Video From Warner Bros. Pictures
- GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Bus Shelter Poster From Warner Bros. Pictures
- GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Cast and Director Interview Videos
- GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Non-Spoiler Review