Funimation Brings SHIN GODZILLA to Austin to Celebrate Home Video Release at “Strange Beasts V: Shin Beasts” Exhibition on July 28 at Guzu Gallery
Celebration Features Works from 14 Artists and Special Appearance by Legendary Sci-fi and Fantasy Artist Bob Eggleton
Source: Funimation Entertainment press release
Official Site: shin-godzilla.jp (Japan), funimationfilms.com/shingodzilla (US)
Godzilla, King of the Monsters, is headed to Austin for “Strange Beasts V: Shin Beasts” art show and exhibition at Guzu Gallery — a special SHIN GODZILLA inspired edition of the annual event celebrating the film’s North American home video release on August 1. Funimation is sponsoring “Strange Beasts V: Shin Beasts” and its Opening Night Party which will take place on Friday, July 28 from 7:00-10:00 p.m. Guests will enjoy new and original works of kaiju art from 14 local, national and international artists, including, legendary sci-fi and fantasy artist Bob Eggleton who will also be appearing in-person as a celebrity guest.
As part of the opening event, Funimation will be distributing a select number of limited-edition posters of a commissioned Godzilla artwork created by nationally-renowned kaiju artist and Austin-area resident Matt Frank. The art show and exhibition will also feature a special display of Bandai and X-Plus Japanese import Godzilla action figures courtesy of toy distributor Bluefin. Some of these figures will be available for purchase. “Strange Beasts V: Shin Beasts” will be on display from July 28 – August 21, 2017.
The artists participating in “Strange Beasts V: Shin Beasts” are as follows…
■ Preston Asevedo
Preston Asevedo is a self-taught, Louisiana based artist. Preston Asevedo is a indy comic creator / illustrator & traditional scifi / horror painter. Asevedo’s work has been featured in a wide variety of comics and horror magazines.
■ Dan Brereton
Dan Brereton has been drawing monsters for 50 years, from the garage door at his childhood home to swanky Austin Galleries, with several comic book series in between, such as Nocturnals and his own Kaiju epic Giantkiller. He counts a love of Godzilla as a big part of being a good parent — just ask his kids.
■ Kevin T. Chin
Kevin T. Chin is an experienced concept artist and illustrator in the entertainment industry since 2005. He’s worked at studios like Disney Interactive & Junction Point on the Disney Epic Mickey game series and for freelance clients such as Blizzard Entertainment, Upper Deck, Games Workshop and Fantasy Flight and featured in publications ImagineFX and Ballistic Publishing. Kevin currently resides in Austin, Texas working at Kingsisle Entertainment as well as participating in local Texas art shows and conventions.
■ Tim Doyle
Tim Doyle is an illustrator and print-maker working out of Austin, TX. His company, Nakatomi- was founded in 2009 and has published art from creators around the world. Doyle is currently managing the Summer tour poster series for both Metallica and Kings of Leon.
■ Bob Eggleton
Bob Eggleton is primarily a Science Fiction and Fantasy Artist by trade, but has won acclaim for his Landscape, Astronomical, and Dinosaur paintings around the world. His landscape work is of a highly personal nature and a departure from his commercial illustration work. Some landscapes are local, and some as far away as Australia, and some imaginary. His work is in collections in the USA, UK, France, Canada and Japan. He has won 8 Hugo Awards and multiple other accolades for his extensive body of work, and is best known for his world-famous Godzilla paintings, created for Dark Horse Comics, IDW Publishing, and Famous Monsters of Filmland.
■ Matt Frank
“The Kaiju King,” as he is known in both Japan and America, Matt Frank is a fan-favorite of Godzilla fans around the world. From 2011 to 2016, Matt was the go-to artist for IDW’s Godzilla comics, and he continues that trend as the cover artist for the Japanese editions from Phase 6. He has also dabbled in Transformers, Power Rangers, Mars Attacks, My Little Pony, and has collaborated with best-selling author Jeremy Robinson as the monster designer for Project Nemesis. Matt also one of the few American artists to create a poster for a Toho Godzilla movie, and his poster for SHIN GODZILLA will be revealed before the U.S. Blu Ray release… AND he’s on the Blu Ray special features!
Half-Human is the artist group comprised of Eric & Vincent Torres. Graphic designers by day / illustrators by night — the brothers summon the moonlight services of the Half-Human spirits to assist in the creation of their collaborative and solo works. Vincent also curates art exhibitions in Austin, Texas as the Gallery Director of Guzu Gallery.
■ Josh Hoskins
Josh Hoskins is a freelance airbrush artist from Houston, Texas who sells/paints and collects Japanese vintage soft vinyl figures! Heavily influenced by Ray Harryhausen, Godzilla and vintage giant robots, Josh’s artwork is always centralized around the kaiju nexus as he works long nights in the Monster Lab!
■ Alexander Iaccarino
Alexander Iaccarino, a young Austin based illustrator and screenprinter, specializes in alternative film poster design and screenprinted artwork. This is his first exhibition after returning to work from an inspirational stay in Japan, the birthplace of the Godzilla phenomenon.
■ Hiroshi Kanatani
Hiroshi Kanatani is a Japanese cartoonist, artist and designer with a following in the United States and Hong Kong. He has had work featured in multiple Godzilla museum exhibitions, several Hong Kong comics and Monster Attack Team. Most recently, one of his pieces was made into a Toho seal for a Godzilla exhibition. He works entirely by hand without digitization or software manipulation.
■ Timothy Lim
The art of Timothy ‘NINJAINK’ Lim has been featured on multiple platforms, including licensed artwork for Marvel, Lucasfilm, and Hasbro merchandise and pinup artwork for UDON’s series of ‘Tribute’ artbooks. His recent work includes comic variant covers for IDW’s Back to the Future, Street Fighter VS GI Joe, TMNT Universe, and Optimus Prime. Currently, he is doing freelance artwork for Upper Deck for an unannounced project and has his first fully illustrated publication Thump: The First Bundred Days debuted in October.
■ New Flesh
New Flesh is an artist, illustrator and print maker based in Austin, TX with a focus on pop culture and movie art. Working primarily in screen prints based on original pen and ink illustrations, New Flesh strives to combine the old and new.
■ Nick Pitarra
Nick Pitarra is the artist and co-creator of the New York Times bestselling The Manhattan Projects from Image comics. He’s illustrated for Marvel, Boom, Slate, CBS, as well as drawing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles covers for IDW. Nicks a native Texan and all around nice guy.
■ Jeff Zornow
ZORNOW MUST BE DESTROYED! for over a decade Zornow has been creating horror/monster/comic art for the masses …to melt their eyes! Mostly known recently for creating art for IDW’s Godzilla comic series, he was the back-up artist (with Matt Frank) who helped Godzilla: Rulers of Earth become the longest running Godzilla comic series in USA history!
SHIN GODZILLA was co-directed by Hideaki Anno (creator of EVANGELION) and Shinji Higuchi (director of the ATTACK ON TITAN live-action movies) and is the 29th film produced by Toho Co., Ltd. in the iconic science fiction monster franchise. The film grossed more than $1.9M at the box office during its North American theatrical release last October. SHIN GODZILLA will be released on August 1 and is available in both DVD and Blu-ray/DVD Combo + UV editions. Both editions are available for pre-order at funimation.com/shingodzilla.
Strange Beasts V: Shin Beasts
July 28 – August 21, 2017
5000 N Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX 78751
Opening Night Party
Friday, July 28, 2017
7:00 -10:00 p.m.
Open Bar and Food Truck
About Funimation Entertainment
Funimation is the go-to destination for extraordinary anime. By combining its integrated in-house studios along with its technology and distribution partnerships, Funimation leads the industry with its omnichannel approach to offering anime to fans—from streaming and home entertainment, to theatrical distribution and broadcast television. The company’s next generation streaming service, FunimationNow, provides subscribers with instant access to their favorite sub and dub shows in ad-free HD on the widest array of devices and platforms—from smartphones and tablets to TVs and gaming consoles. For more information about Funimation, visit funimationfilms.com.
For more information on SHIN GODZILLA, please see the earlier coverage here on SciFi Japan:
- GODZILLA RESURGENCE: Exclusive High-Res Photos from Toho
- GODZILLA RESURGENCE: More Exclusive High-Res Photos from Toho
- Exclusive! Funimation Licenses GODZILLA RESURGENCE
- SHIN GODZILLA Press Release from Funimation Films
- Toho’s SHIN GODZILLA International Sales Materials
- SHIN GODZILLA: Exclusive High-Res Photos from Golden Village Pictures
- Funimation Films Promo Materials
- SHIN GODZILLA International Exclusive: Information and High-Res Photos from CatchPlay (Taiwan)
- SHIN GODZILLA North American Theatrical Release News from Funimation Films
- SHIN GODZILLA International Exclusive: Info, Trailer and High-Res Photos from TGV Pictures (Malaysia)
- SHIN GODZILLA Advance Tickets for North America On Sale Now
- SHIN GODZILLA International Exclusive: Thai Info, Trailers and High-Res Pics from Sahamongkolfilm
- SHIN GODZILLA Roars Onto the Big Screen in 60 Carmike Cinemas in October
- SHIN GODZILLA Stomps on Australian and New Zealand Cinemas in October
- SHIN GODZILLA US Theater List from Funimation Films
- SHIN GODZILLA New York Premiere Coverage and Review
- SHIN GODZILLA Day Arrives!
- SHIN GODZILLA Roars Into Theaters Tonight for Limited Engagement
- SHIN GODZILLA Capsule Reviews
- SHIN GODZILLA World Tour Continues Today in Australia
- Win SHIN GODZILLA Poster from Funimation Films!
- SHIN GODZILLA Extends Run with Encore Saturday Matinee and Screenings in Select Cities thru October 27
- SHIN GODZILLA Update: Matinee and Extended Run Theater List from Funimation Films
- Shin Godzilla 25cm Figure from X-Plus in December
- Shin Godzilla “Luminous Purple” Figure Kit from X-Plus and Premium Bandai in March 2017
- Shin Godzilla Red Figure Kit from X-Plus and Kadokawa in March 2017
- SHIN GODZILLA International Exclusive: Spanish Info, Trailers and High-Res Pics from A Contracorriente Films
- Shin Godzilla 12” Head-to-Tail Figure Coming from NECA in May
- SHIN GODZILLA International Exclusive: Korean Info, Trailer and High-Res Pics from MediaCastle
- SHIN GODZILLA Korean Release Update
- SHIN GODZILLA Korean Release Update: New Poster and Videos
- SHIN GODZILLA Tops 40th Japan Academy Film Prize
- SHIN GODZILLA International Exclusive: German Info, Trailer and High-Res Pics from Splendid Film
- SHIN GODZILLA International Release Update: Latest Godzilla Premieres in Italy
- SHIN GODZILLA International Update: German Trailer
- SHIN GODZILLA English Language Blu-ray/DVD Details and High-Res Artwork
- SHIN GODZILLA International Exclusive: Italian Info, Trailer and High-Res Pics from QMI / Stardust