SHIN GODZILLA International Exclusive: Italian Info, Trailer and High-Res Pics from QMI / Stardust
Source: QMI / Stardust, Minerva Pictures, Dynit s.r.l.
Official Site: shin-godzilla.jp (Japan), shingodzilla.stardust.it (Italy)
Special Thanks to Arianna Monteverdi, Sara Sagrati, Agata De Laurentiis, Ilaria Ricci and Stefano Ricci
A SCIFI JAPAN EXCLUSIVE
After opening in Japan last summer, Toho’s SHIN GODZILLA (シン・ゴジラ, Shin Gojira, 2016) has played in cinemas around the world. The film’s international release continues this July in Italy. SciFi Japan previews this event with information, photos, poster art and a trailer, courtesy of Italian distributor, QMI / Stardust.
Created in 1954 as a commentary on the aftermath of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Godzilla immediately gained fans across the globe, becoming an ambassador of Japan to the world. With SHIN GODZILLA, the King of Monsters returns home in the post-Fukushima era. For this franchise relaunch, Toho brought together two national glories: Godzilla, the father of the kaiju eiga (monster movie) genre, and Hideaki Anno, author of the acclaimed anime NEON GENESIS EVANGELION, alongside co-director and special effects wizard Shinji Higuchi (GAMERA Trilogy, ATTACK ON TITAN live-action movies). The film modernizes that classic tale by combining innovation and tradition, starting with the themes of the destructive monster as nature’s revenge on humanity now presented through the use of stunning digital effects. The end result was a hit with moviegoers and critics in Japan; SHIN GODZILLA earned more than $72 million (USD) at the domestic box office and also swept the 2017 Japan Academy awards ceremony with prizes including Best Picture and Best Director.
In Italy, SHIN GODZILLA is being distributed to cinemas by QMI / Stardust in collaboration with Dynit and Minerva Pictures. The film will have a three-day limited theatrical run from July 3-5, and will be shown dubbed in Italian rather than subtitled. A list of theaters screening SHIN GODZILLA can be found on the movie’s official website.
It’s a quiet day in Japan when a strange water fountain erupts in the bay, causing the Tokyo-Aqua Line to collapse. Government officials initially believe it to be a volcanic anomaly, but Japan’s Deputy Chief of Staff Rando Yaguchi, after watching a video showing a huge moving entity in the area, is convinced that the disaster has been caused by a living creature.
His worst nightmare comes to life when a monster emerges from the depths. Named “Godzilla”, the gigantic creature heads for the capital, destroying everything in its path. As the government attempts to save the citizens, a volunteer team tries to uncover Godzilla’s weakness. But time is not on their side — the greatest catastrophe to ever befall the world is about to evolve right before their very eyes.
About QMI / Stardust
QMI, a leading entertainment marketing agency in Italy, advises producers and distributors on how to finance, promote and advertise film, music and content in general. QMI also assists brands on how to effectively tie in to entertainment and distributes alternative contents.
In 2004, QMI launched the Stardust movie chain, which includes all major national multi-channel theaters such as The Space Cinema, UCI Cinemas, as well as major regional realities such as Giometti Multiplex, Cineplex and Starplex. Today the network has 645 cinemas in Italy, totaling more than 2,500 screens.
About Minerva Pictures Group
Minerva Pictures Group has been operating in the entertainment industry for more than 60 years, producing, distributing and trading film copyrights. During its activity, the Company has acquired and consolidated a library of approximately 1,200 film titles, from the 50’s up to nowadays, which makes Minerva one of the leading independent exporters and content providers in Italy and Europe.
About Dynit s.r.l.
Dynit is one of the leading companies in the Italian entertainment industry: its activity ranges from localizing Japanese anime to designing and creating gadgets for children.
It was founded in 1995 in the wake of renewed interest by the Italian audience for Japanese animation and it rose to success thanks to the distribution of home video hits as DRAGON BALL, UFO ROBOT GRENDIZER and HOKUTO NO KEN. The success of anime extended to the Italian main TV channels (MTV, Rai, Mediaset) and it helped to spread the Japanese culture in Italy, while the VHS support evolved to DVD first and later to Blu-ray Disc, giving the viewer a better experience and letting him get deeper involved.
Between 2013 and 2014, in less than a year, Dynit distributed 11 Japanese animation movies in theaters, with amazing box office grosses. The growing interest for streaming also allowed the company to show new programs in simulcast, i.e. transmitted via the Internet simultaneously with Japan.
About Toho Co., Ltd.
Founded in 1932 and headquartered in Tokyo, Toho Company, Ltd. is one of the leading entertainment conglomerates in Japan. Toho is best known worldwide as the producer of twenty-nine Godzilla motion pictures, based upon a character the company unleashed on the world back in 1954, and masterpiece films directed by Akira Kurosawa. Toho has been the number one distributor of motion pictures in Japan annually since 2003. The company is also, throughout Japan, the leading producer of theatrical works and one of the largest owners of office buildings and theaters.
For more information on SHIN GODZILLA, please see the earlier coverage here on SciFi Japan:
- GODZILLA RESURGENCE: Exclusive High-Res Photos from Toho
- GODZILLA RESURGENCE: More Exclusive High-Res Photos from Toho
- Exclusive! Funimation Licenses GODZILLA RESURGENCE
- SHIN GODZILLA Press Release from Funimation Films
- Toho’s SHIN GODZILLA International Sales Materials
- SHIN GODZILLA: Exclusive High-Res Photos from Golden Village Pictures
- Funimation Films Promo Materials
- SHIN GODZILLA International Exclusive: Information and High-Res Photos from CatchPlay (Taiwan)
- SHIN GODZILLA North American Theatrical Release News from Funimation Films
- SHIN GODZILLA International Exclusive: Info, Trailer and High-Res Photos from TGV Pictures (Malaysia)
- SHIN GODZILLA Advance Tickets for North America On Sale Now
- SHIN GODZILLA International Exclusive: Thai Info, Trailers and High-Res Pics from Sahamongkolfilm
- SHIN GODZILLA Roars Onto the Big Screen in 60 Carmike Cinemas in October
- SHIN GODZILLA Stomps on Australian and New Zealand Cinemas in October
- SHIN GODZILLA US Theater List from Funimation Films
- SHIN GODZILLA New York Premiere Coverage and Review
- SHIN GODZILLA Day Arrives!
- SHIN GODZILLA Roars Into Theaters Tonight for Limited Engagement
- SHIN GODZILLA Capsule Reviews
- SHIN GODZILLA World Tour Continues Today in Australia
- Win SHIN GODZILLA Poster from Funimation Films!
- SHIN GODZILLA Extends Run with Encore Saturday Matinee and Screenings in Select Cities thru October 27
- SHIN GODZILLA Update: Matinee and Extended Run Theater List from Funimation Films
- Shin Godzilla 25cm Figure from X-Plus in December
- Shin Godzilla “Luminous Purple” Figure Kit from X-Plus and Premium Bandai in March 2017
- Shin Godzilla Red Figure Kit from X-Plus and Kadokawa in March 2017
- SHIN GODZILLA International Exclusive: Spanish Info, Trailers and High-Res Pics from A Contracorriente Films
- Shin Godzilla 12” Head-to-Tail Figure Coming from NECA in May
- SHIN GODZILLA International Exclusive: Korean Info, Trailer and High-Res Pics from MediaCastle
- SHIN GODZILLA Korean Release Update
- SHIN GODZILLA Korean Release Update: New Poster and Videos
- SHIN GODZILLA Tops 40th Japan Academy Film Prize
- SHIN GODZILLA International Exclusive: German Info, Trailer and High-Res Pics from Splendid Film
- SHIN GODZILLA International Release Update: Latest Godzilla Premieres in Italy
- SHIN GODZILLA International Update: German Trailer
- SHIN GODZILLA English Language Blu-ray/DVD Details and High-Res Artwork