SHIN GODZILLA International Release Update: Latest Godzilla Premieres in Italy
The international release of Toho’s SHIN GODZILLA (シン・ゴジラ, Shin Gojira, 2016) continues. At 8:00pm on Thursday, April 6, the film had its Italian premiere at the Cinema Ambrosio of Turin. The screening was a part of Cartoons on the Bay (the 21st International Cross-Media and Children’s Television Festival), held in conjunction with Sottodiciotto Film Festival.
Japan was a focus of this year’s Cartoons on the Bay, with special guests, panels, retrospectives, shows and meetings related to Japanese animation and fantasy films. In addition to SHIN GODZILLA, the screening list included the smash hit YOUR NAME. (君の名は。, Kimi no Na wa., 2016), SWORD ART ONLINE THE MOVIE – ORDINAL SCALE – (劇場版 ソードアート・オンライン -オーディナル・スケール-, Gekijooban Soodo Aato Onrain -Oodinaru Sukeeru-, 2017), Studio Ghibli’s NAUSICAÄ OF THE VALLEY OF THE WIND (風の谷のナウシカ, Kaze no Tani no Naushika, 1984) and POM POKO (総天然色漫画映画 平成狸合戦ぽんぽこ, Heisei Tanuki Gassen Pompoko, 1994), and the Super Sentai-inspired American production, Saban’s POWER RANGERS (2017).
SHIN GODZILLA is being released in Italy through a partnership between distributors Dynit, Minerva Pictures and QMI Stardust. The Italian theatrical run will begin in July.
In the press release for the premiere, Dynit described SHIN GODZILLA as “an event film that combines two national glories in Godzilla and [co-writer/director] Hideaki Anno, author of the anime NEON GENESIS EVANGELION. The film, a blockbuster in Japan and fresh from recent success at the 40th edition of the Japan Academy Prize Award — the so-called Japanese Oscars — with seven awards including best film and best director, is the return of the most famous monster of all time in his homeland.”
About Dynit s.r.l.
Dynit is one of the leading companies in the Italian entertainment industry: its activity ranges from localizing Japanese anime to designing and creating gadgets for children.
It was founded in 1995 in the wake of renewed interest by the Italian audience for Japanese animation and it rose to success thanks to the distribution of home video hits as DRAGON BALL, UFO ROBOT GRENDIZER and HOKUTO NO KEN. The success of anime extended to the Italian main TV channels (MTV, Rai, Mediaset) and it helped to spread the Japanese culture in Italy, while the VHS support evolved to DVD first and later to Blu-ray Disc, giving the viewer a better experience and letting him get deeper involved.
Between 2013 and 2014, in less than a year, Dynit distributed 11 Japanese animation movies in theaters, with amazing box office grosses. The growing interest for streaming also allowed the company to show new programs in simulcast, i.e. transmitted via the Internet simultaneously with Japan.
About Toho Co., Ltd.
Founded in 1932 and headquartered in Tokyo, Toho Company, Ltd. is one of the leading entertainment conglomerates in Japan. Toho is best known worldwide as the producer of twenty-nine Godzilla motion pictures, based upon a character the company unleashed on the world back in 1954, and masterpiece films directed by Akira Kurosawa. Toho has been the number one distributor of motion pictures in Japan annually since 2003. The company is also, throughout Japan, the leading producer of theatrical works and one of the largest owners of office buildings and theaters.
For more information on SHIN GODZILLA, please see the earlier coverage here on SciFi Japan:
- GODZILLA RESURGENCE: Exclusive High-Res Photos from Toho
- GODZILLA RESURGENCE: More Exclusive High-Res Photos from Toho
- Exclusive! Funimation Licenses GODZILLA RESURGENCE
- SHIN GODZILLA Press Release from Funimation Films
- Toho’s SHIN GODZILLA International Sales Materials
- SHIN GODZILLA: Exclusive High-Res Photos from Golden Village Pictures
- Funimation Films Promo Materials
- SHIN GODZILLA International Exclusive: Information and High-Res Photos from CatchPlay (Taiwan)
- SHIN GODZILLA North American Theatrical Release News from Funimation Films
- SHIN GODZILLA International Exclusive: Info, Trailer and High-Res Photos from TGV Pictures (Malaysia)
- SHIN GODZILLA Advance Tickets for North America On Sale Now
- SHIN GODZILLA International Exclusive: Thai Info, Trailers and High-Res Pics from Sahamongkolfilm
- SHIN GODZILLA Roars Onto the Big Screen in 60 Carmike Cinemas in October
- SHIN GODZILLA Stomps on Australian and New Zealand Cinemas in October
- SHIN GODZILLA US Theater List from Funimation Films
- SHIN GODZILLA New York Premiere Coverage and Review
- SHIN GODZILLA Day Arrives!
- SHIN GODZILLA Roars Into Theaters Tonight for Limited Engagement
- SHIN GODZILLA Capsule Reviews
- SHIN GODZILLA World Tour Continues Today in Australia
- Win SHIN GODZILLA Poster from Funimation Films!
- SHIN GODZILLA Extends Run with Encore Saturday Matinee and Screenings in Select Cities thru October 27
- SHIN GODZILLA Update: Matinee and Extended Run Theater List from Funimation Films
- Shin Godzilla 25cm Figure from X-Plus in December
- Shin Godzilla “Luminous Purple” Figure Kit from X-Plus and Premium Bandai in March 2017
- Shin Godzilla Red Figure Kit from X-Plus and Kadokawa in March 2017
- SHIN GODZILLA International Exclusive: Spanish Info, Trailers and High-Res Pics from A Contracorriente Films
- Shin Godzilla 12” Head-to-Tail Figure Coming from NECA in May
- SHIN GODZILLA International Exclusive: Korean Info, Trailer and High-Res Pics from MediaCastle
- SHIN GODZILLA Korean Release Update
- SHIN GODZILLA Korean Release Update: New Poster and Videos
- SHIN GODZILLA Tops 40th Japan Academy Film Prize
- SHIN GODZILLA International Exclusive: German Info, Trailer and High-Res Pics from Splendid Film