SHIN GODZILLA International Exclusive: Korean Info, Trailer and High-Res Pics from MediaCastle
A SCIFI JAPAN EXCLUSIVE
SHIN GODZILLA (シン・ゴジラ, Shin Gojira, 2016) will be released in Korea this March. The exact release date has not yet been revealed, but it is estimated to be early in the month.
SHIN GODZILLA marks the third Godzilla film to receive a theatrical release in Korea, following GODZILLA 2000 (ゴジラ2000 ミレニアム, Gojira Ni-sen Mireniamu, 1999) in August 2000 and GODZILLA: FINAL WARS (ゴジラ FINAL WARS, Gojira Finaru Uozu, 2004) in December 2011. Several other titles in the series were shown in July 2014, as Godzilla’s 60th anniversary program for The 18th Buchon International Fantastic Film Festival (BIFAN). The Korean premiere of SHIN GODZILLA was held in October 2016 at the 21st Busan International Film Festival, with co-director / special effects director Shinji Higuchi and star Hiroki Hasegawa attending the first showing on October 7.
On February 1, Korean importer MediaCastle kicked off the promotional campaign of SHIN GODZILLA for the Korean market by releasing the teaser trailer and the teaser poster of the film. Both have been arranged to appeal to the local audience, especially the trailer, which is highly action-oriented and fairly different from the Japanese counterpart. Also, the teaser poster does not feature Godzilla at all, and is in the landscape format, a rarity in Korea, where most film posters are in portrait format. MediaCastle told this writer that various promotional campaigns and sweepstakes will follow for Korean fans.
MediaCastle received great attention earlier this year, as its first release of 2017, YOUR NAME. (君の名は。, Kimi no na wa., 2016), which opened on January 4, became the highest-grossing Japanese film ever released in Korea. As of February 2, YOUR NAME. attracted 3.48 million admissions nationwide, surpassing the former record holder HOWL’S MOVING CASTLE’s (ハウルの動く城, Hauru no ugoku shiro, 2004) 3.01 million admissions.
More news will follow as MediaCastle unveils further information and promotional materials for the Korean release of SHIN GODZILLA.
SHIN GODZILLA (신고질라, Shin Gojilla)
Korean Premiere: October 7, 2016 (Busan International Film Festival)
Korean Theatrical Release: March 2017
Running Time: 120 Minutes
Language: Japanese (Korean Subtitles)
Directors: Hideaki Ano, Shinji Higuchi
Starring: Hiroki Hasegawa, Yutaka Takenouchi, Satomi Ishihara
Production: Toho Co., Ltd.
Distributor: MediaCastle / Megabox Plus M
© 2016 TOHO CO., LTD.
MediaCastle was found in 2005 and is based in Seoul, Korea. The company has been importing, distributing and producing theatrical and VOD contents, such as 5 CENTIMETERS PER SECOND (秒速5センチメートル, Byosoku go senchimetoru, 2007), PIANO NO MORI (ピアノの森, Piano no mori, 2007), YOU ARE SO YUMMY (おまえうまそうだな, Omae Umaso da na, 2010), THE LIFE OF GUSKO BUDORI (グスコーブドリの伝記, 2012), 100 YEN LOVE (百円の恋, Hyakuen no koi, 2014), THE EMPIRE OF CORPSES(死者の帝国, Shisha no teikoku, 2015) and the recent Japanese mega-hit anime YOUR NAME.(君の名は。, Kimi no na wa, 2016). In 2015, MediaCastle produced YOU ARE SO YUMMY: HAPPY TO BE WITH YOU (あなたをずっとあいしてる, Anata wo zutto aishiteru), the sequel to 2010’s YOU ARE SO YUMMY, the animated feature film based on the popular children’s book series by Tatsuya Miyanishi.
About Toho Co., Ltd.
Founded in 1932 and headquartered in Tokyo, Toho Company, Ltd. is one of the leading entertainment conglomerates in Japan. Toho is best known worldwide as the producer of twenty-nine Godzilla motion pictures, based upon a character the company unleashed on the world back in 1954, and masterpiece films directed by Akira Kurosawa. Toho has been the number one distributor of motion pictures in Japan annually since 2003. The company is also, throughout Japan, the leading producer of theatrical works and one of the largest owners of office buildings and theaters.
For more information on SHIN GODZILLA, please see the earlier coverage here on SciFi Japan:
- GODZILLA RESURGENCE: Exclusive High-Res Photos from Toho
- GODZILLA RESURGENCE: More Exclusive High-Res Photos from Toho
- Exclusive! Funimation Licenses GODZILLA RESURGENCE
- SHIN GODZILLA Press Release from Funimation Films
- Toho’s SHIN GODZILLA International Sales Materials
- SHIN GODZILLA: Exclusive High-Res Photos from Golden Village Pictures
- Funimation Films Promo Materials
- SHIN GODZILLA International Exclusive: Information and High-Res Photos from CatchPlay (Taiwan)
- SHIN GODZILLA North American Theatrical Release News from Funimation Films
- SHIN GODZILLA International Exclusive: Info, Trailer and High-Res Photos from TGV Pictures (Malaysia)
- SHIN GODZILLA Advance Tickets for North America On Sale Now
- SHIN GODZILLA International Exclusive: Thai Info, Trailers and High-Res Pics from Sahamongkolfilm
- SHIN GODZILLA Roars Onto the Big Screen in 60 Carmike Cinemas in October
- SHIN GODZILLA Stomps on Australian and New Zealand Cinemas in October
- SHIN GODZILLA US Theater List from Funimation Films
- SHIN GODZILLA New York Premiere Coverage and Review
- SHIN GODZILLA Day Arrives!
- SHIN GODZILLA Roars Into Theaters Tonight for Limited Engagement
- SHIN GODZILLA Capsule Reviews
- SHIN GODZILLA World Tour Continues Today in Australia
- Win SHIN GODZILLA Poster from Funimation Films!
- SHIN GODZILLA Extends Run with Encore Saturday Matinee and Screenings in Select Cities thru October 27
- SHIN GODZILLA Update: Matinee and Extended Run Theater List from Funimation Films
- Shin Godzilla 25cm Figure from X-Plus in December
- Shin Godzilla “Luminous Purple” Figure Kit from X-Plus and Premium Bandai in March 2017
- Shin Godzilla Red Figure Kit from X-Plus and Kadokawa in March 2017
- SHIN GODZILLA International Exclusive: Spanish Info, Trailers and High-Res Pics from A Contracorriente Films
- Shin Godzilla 12” Head-to-Tail Figure Coming from NECA in May