J-Horror Classic DARK WATER Blu-ray/DVD Combo in October from Arrow Video US
Source: Arrow Video US, MVD Entertainment Group press release
Special Thanks to Clint Weiler
On October 11th, DARK WATER (仄暗い水の底から, Honogurai Mizu no Soko Kara, 2002) will be released in a Blu-ray + DVD set by Arrow Video US/MVD Entertainment Group.
After terrifying audiences worldwide with the blockbuster J-horror classic THE RING (リング, Ringu, 1998) and its sequel, director Hideo Nakata returned to the genre for DARK WATER, another highly atmospheric, and critically acclaimed, tale of the supernatural which took the common theme of the “dead wet girl” to new heights of suspense and drama.
Based upon on a short story by Ring author Koji Suzuki, DARK WATER follows Yoshimi, a single mother struggling to win sole custody of her only child, Ikuko. When they move into a new home within a dilapidated and long-forgotten apartment complex, Yoshimi begins to experience startling visions and unexplainable sounds, calling her mental well-being into question, and endangering not only her custody of Ikuko, but perhaps their lives as well.
Beautifully shot by the same cinematographer as THE RING and PULSE (回路, Kairo, 2001), and featuring an especially unnerving sound design, DARK WATER successfully merges spine-tingling tension with a family’s heart-wrenching emotional struggle, creating one of the very finest and most unsettling contemporary Japanese horror films.
Format: Blu-ray + DVD
Street Date: 10/11/16
Run Time: 101 Minutes
Number of Discs: 2
List Price: $34.95
• High Definition digital transfer
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
• Original 5.1 audio (DTS-HD on the Blu-ray)
• Brand new interview with director Hideo Nakata
• Brand new interview with novelist Koji Suzuki
• Brand new interview with cinematographer Junichiro Hayashi
• Archive interview with actress Asami Mizukawa
• Original ‘Making of’ documentary
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Peter Strain
• First pressing only: illustrated collector’s booklet containing new writing by David Kalat, author of J-Horror: The Definitive Guide to The Ring, The Grudge and Beyond, and an examination of the American remake by writer and editor Michael Gingold
About MVD Entertainment Group
MVD Entertainment Group is a full service music and movie distribution firm, exclusively representing thousands of audio and visual products for DVD, Bluray, CD, vinyl, and digital rights, worldwide. MVD also exclusively distributes a growing line of merchandise including limited edition collectibles, tee shirts, and more.
“Serving Artists and Audiences” is MVD’s purpose statement; it represents a commitment to the interests of the musicians, filmmakers, record labels, producers, managers, and every link in the supply chain. The customers are the Audience, from wholesalers, sub-distributors, major retail chains, online retailers, specialists, and independent mom and pop stores, all the way to the consumer.
MVD Entertainment Group was founded in 1986 by Tom Seaman, an industry veteran with prior experience with The Record Hunter, Sam Goody, CBS Retail, and JEM Distribution. Tom, along with his family Elinor, Eve and Ed, initially focused on music videotapes.
At the turn of the century, with the advent of DVD, MVD built a large catalog of exclusively distributed audiovisual content on DVD’s, with special strength in music concert films, horror movies, documentaries, comedy, cult classics, and much more.