SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO 2199 Partners with Japan Sankei
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Production Committee and the Japan Sankei Tourist Association are collaborating on a special project.
The Japan Sankei (“the three views”) were first introduced when Neo-Confucian scholar Shunsai Hayashi performed a pilgrimage of the nation in the Edo era and considered these three outstanding landscapes the “vestige of Japan.” What these three most scenic spots in Japan have in common are the azure sea and the deep green pines. Regarded as the hometown of all Japanese, they have long been beloved as famous places to visit at least once in a lifetime. Since it was established in December 1974, the Japan Sankei Tourist Association has been committed to the promotion and protection of these landscapes, the pride of Japan. July 21, the birthday of Shunsai Hayashi, has been established as Japan Sankei Day.
The SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO (宇宙戦艦ヤマト, Uchuu Senkan Yamato) anime series premiered on Yomiuri TV in October 1974. It sparked a boom all over Japan, and YAMATO is now regarded as the foundation of the country’s animation culture. This year, the franchise celebrates its 40th anniversary with two feature films based on the recent SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO 2199 series. The new SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO 2199: ARK OF THE STARS (宇宙戦艦ヤマト2199 星巡る方舟, Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 Hoshi Meguru Hakobune) will be released on Saturday, December 6. But before that will be a special compilation movie titled SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO 2199: A VOYAGE TO REMEMBER (宇宙戦艦ヤマト2199 追憶の航海, Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 Tsuioku no Kokai) on Saturday, October 11.
To further commemorate the mutual 40th anniversary of these two icons, Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Production Committee and the Japan Sankei Tourist Association have joined forces for “Japan Sankei X Space Battleship Yamato 2199″, a variety of events from July 2014 to the spring of next year.
The Japan Sankei
■ Tango Amanohashidate
Between the Sea of Japan and the inland sea of Aso (also called the Sea of Yosa), a sand bar was built up by the currents to form a natural land bridge. Its total length is about 3.6km, and approximately 8,000 lush black pines grow there. Sand flows from the Sea of Japan into Aso on the Tsushima ocean current, and sediment flows out to Aso on the Nodagawa river. It is believed that this unique geographical feature was formed over thousands of years. Although the view from Karakasamatsu Park is famous, it is also fun to cross on foot. Northern Kyoto is also called “Kyoto of the Sea,” and its many attractions include ship harbors, hot springs, and excellent cuisine such as winter matsuba crab.
■ Miyajima of Aki
Miyajima was worshipped as a god in ancient times. Its main peak is Mt. Misen, with its lush primeval forest atop the Island of Gods that floats on the Seto Inland Sea. To represent Miyajima, the military leader Taira no Kiyomori built it into its current form about 850 years ago, and the architectural beauty of Itsukushima Shrine is still proud in the 21st century.
It is an important asset for understanding the spirit of Japanese culture, and is recognized as a World Heritage Site. When you visit Itsukushima Shrine, it is recommended to check the calendar for high and low tide in advance. Although the shrine is fantastic at high tide, the walk to the Torii gate at low tide is very attractive. In addition, the 360-degree Mt. Misen observation deck was restored last December. The great history and folklore museum of Miyajima, the panorama of the temple town, the rich cultural heritage, and the beautiful blazing red autumn leaves of Momijidani Park are major attractionse.
■ Rikuzen Matsushima
The scenery of lush green pines growing on more than 260 large and small islands in Matsushima Bay is like a completely picturesque Japanese painting. The landscape changes every morning and evening, and throughout the four seasons. Countless visitors come to seek healing.
In December of last year, Matsushima Bay was certified by UNESCO’s Most Beautiful Bays in the World Club for the first time. But its value extends beyond that of a merely aesthetic subject. At the time of the Great Tohoku Earthquake [March 2011], this large number of islands acted as a natural breakwater, protecting the Matsushima Bay area from the tsunami.
In collaboration with Yamato, the voice actors for Susumu Kodai and Yuria Misaki provide narration for sightseeing boats with such appeals as, “the pine growth has been damaged by excessive breeding of black-tailed gulls.” To return the area to its original state, they ask for visitors to not feed the gulls.
“Japan Sankei X Space Battleship Yamato 2199″ Collaboration Plan Outline
■ Collaboration 1: SBY2199 “Wrapping Bus” Operation
○ Planned Travel period: June 30, 2014 – March 2015 (planned)
○ Service area: Tango Kairiku Kotsu Co., Ltd. (Tango Land and Sea
transportation) bus line, Amanohashidate district (operates between Miyazu
○ Check the Tango Kairiku Kotsu Co., Ltd. website for more service information
■ Collaboration 2: Amanohashidate Tourist Boat “Seagull” Commemorative Round-Trip Ticket
○ Commemorative round-trip ticket for Amanohashidate tourist boat Seagull, ¥1060
○ Point of sale: Tango Kairiku Kotsu Co. ship ticket sales window, tourist information center in Amanohashidate station
○ Product specs: illustrated ticket designed by Michio Murakawa, special clear file, special design materials and wallpaper,
Amanohashidate tourist narration by SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO 2199 voice actor Daisuke Ono (Susumu Kodai).
Narration and wallpaper requires download from the QR code.
■ Collaboration 3: Amanohashidate Tourist Boat “Seagull” On-board Narration
When aboard the Seagull, tourist narration by Susumu Kodai and Yuria Misaki can be heard.
○ Operating period: July 5, 2014 – March 31, 2015
○ Operating area: Aso Sea (Amanohashidate district)
■ Collaboration 4: Matsushima Pleasure Boat “Seagull” On-board Narration
Extensive breeding of black-tailed gulls due to feeding from tourist boats has lead to an increase in nitrogen generated by their feces that has damaged newly-planted pines. Therefore, until the population decreases, feeding from tourist boats has been prohibited. This message is announced by Susumu Kodai’s voice actor Daisuke Ono and Yuria Misaki’s voice actor Aya Uchida.
■ Collaboration 5: JR West Miyajima Ferry On-board Narration
■ Collaboration 6: September 25 （Thursday), Planned Pprayer at Miyajima and Itsukushima Shrine
Other promotions, such as local tie-in products, are also in development. Please check the official Yamato home page for more information.
“Space Battleship Yamato 2199 X Japan Sankei” Tours
Yamato X Japan Sankei tours are planned for the loyal fans.
■ Tour 1: Yamato X Amanohashidate （Kyoto）, September 20 – 22: Kyoto to Amanohashidate
After visiting the Art Exhibition in Osaka, Kyoto International Manga Anime Fair 2014, and a related talk show, you can visit Amanohashidate. Yamato 2199 planet chocolates are planned as a souvenir.
■ Tour 2: Yamato X Amanohashidate （Kyoto）, Yamato X Miyajima （Hiroshima Prefecture）, October 28 & 29: Osaka to Miyajima
A visit to Miyajima after participating in a concert by Akira Miyagawa conducting the Osaka Music Group. Planet chocolate souvenirs.
■ Tour 3: Yamato X Matsushima （Miyagi）, Late November: Sendai to Matsushima
This tour is under development. Details will be revealed at a later date.
For more information on SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO please see the earlier coverage here on SciFi Japan:
- The Miyagawa Legacy
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO, Part 1: The Anime Classic That Nearly Wasn’t
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO, Part 2: From Valley to Peak
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO, Part 3: ARRIVEDERCI YAMATO Goodbye Dark Ages, Hello Global Village
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO, Part 4: We’re Off to Outer Space
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO, Part 5: THE NEW VOYAGES Plural
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO, Part 6: BE FOREVER YAMATO…and the Kitchen Sink
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO, Part 7: SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO III: The Ground Shifts
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO, Part 8: FINAL YAMATO: The Legacy Begins
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO, Part 9: Dessler’s War and More: SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO IN THE 80s
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO, Part 10: The Rollercoaster: SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO in the 90s
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO, Part 11: The Leiji Matsumoto Renaissance, SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO in the 21st Century
- YAMATO REBIRTH: An Eyewitness Account of the New Beginning
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO: RESURRECTION
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO: Triumph and Tragedy
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO on Australian DVD and Blu-ray
- Win Tickets to SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO, CURE or ZOMBIE ASS at Japan Cuts!
- J-POP Summit Festival Announces Japan Film Festival of San Francisco
- Bluefin Bandai Tamashii Nations Space Battleship Yamato 2199 in Feb 2014
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO Finally Hits North American Theaters in October 2013
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO North American Presskit
- Live-Action SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack in April
- STAR BLAZERS 2199 on Blu-ray and DVD this Month
- STAR BLAZERS 2199 Vol.2 Blu-ray and DVD in April
- Win the SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack!
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO Celebrates 40th Anniversary with Two 2199 Movies
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO 2199 Event in Osaka