GODZILLA Cover Featured on Japanese Edition of Cinefex
The visual effects of Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures’ GODZILLA are profiled in the current issue of Don Shay’s excellent Cinefex magazine. Cinefex No.138 is now on sale and can be purchased from retailers and cinefex.com. The issue has two cover variants, giving readers their choice of THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 or CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER.
In September, the main articles of Cinefex No.138 will be included the Japanese edition of the magazine. Cinefex No.34 (Japanese Version) will feature GODZILLA on the cover.
Cinefex No.138 (July 2014)
■ O’Brien vs Dawley: The First Great Rivalry in Visual Effects
Article by Stephen Czerkas
Long before King Kong and Mighty Joe Young, stop-motion pioneer Willis O’Brien joined with producer Herbert M. Dawley to create The Ghost of Slumber Mountain. The silent film was a hit, but the relationship between the two men devolved into a bitter rivalry that nearly derailed production of The Lost World, O’Brien’s breakout feature. Writer Stephen Czerkas has spent years researching the O’Brien/Dawley feud and has unearthed startling evidence that challenges the long-held view that Dawley was the villain and O’Brien the victim.
■ CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER: Captain’s Orders
Article by Jody Duncan
Marvel Studios revisits its all-American superhero with the story of World War II-era Steve Rogers — aka Captain America (Chris Evans) — acclimating to the 21st century as he battles against the threat of a Soviet agent known as ‘The Winter Soldier.’ Directed by Anthony and Joe Russo, the sequel featured hundreds of spectacular visual effects overseen by visual effects supervisor Dan DeLeeuw and delivered by Industrial Light & Magic, Scanline VFX and other vendors from around the globe. Previs was provided by Proof, and practical, on-set contributions were the work of Legacy Effects, Quantum Creation FX and special effects supervisor Daniel Sudick.
■ MALEFICENT: Paradise Lost
Article by Joe Fordham
The villainess of Walt Disney’s 1959 animated feature, Sleeping Beauty, springs to life in this live-action fantasy that reveals how the sorceress Maleficent (Angelina Jolie) came to be known as the ‘Mistress of All Evil’ and used her dark magic to enslave the Princess Aurora. Former visual effects artist and production designer Robert Stromberg takes the helm in his feature film directorial debut, working with special effects supervisor Michael Dawson, prosthetic makeup designer David White, senior visual effects supervisor Carey Villegas, and artists at MPC, Digital Domain, The Third Floor, 4DMax and Prime Focus World.
■ THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2: The Body Electric
Article by Joe Fordham
Director Marc Webb returns for a second outing with web-slinging crime-fighter Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield). Antagonists include Electro (Jamie Foxx), an engineer imbued with telekinetic electrical abilities, The Rhino (Paul Giamatti), a Russian mobster encased in a mechanical endoskeleton, and The Green Goblin (Dane DeHaan). Visual effects supervisor Jerome Chen collaborated with special effects supervisor John Frazier and special makeup supervisor Howard Berger to orchestrate the action with Sony Pictures Imageworks, MPC, Weta Workshop, Blur Studio, Shade VFX, Pixel Playground, Nerve, Legend3D and The Third Floor.
■ GODZILLA: I Am Become Death
Article by Mike Seymour
Sixty years after first terrorizing movie audiences, Godzilla wreaks havoc once again in an adaptation directed by Gareth Edwards. Special effects supervisor Joel Whist and a crew from Amalgamated Dynamics Incorporated orchestrated in-camera effects on locations in Canada and Hawaii. Visual effects aimed at realizing Godzilla and other epic monsters, as well as large-scale destruction, were created by teams of artists at MPC and Double Negative, with noteworthy contributions by The Third Floor, Scanline VFX, Hammerhead Productions, Pixel Playground and a dedicated in-house effects team — all under the leadership of visual effects supervisor Jim Rygiel.
Publisher: Cinefex LLC.
Size: 8″ Vertical × 9″ Horizontal (20.3cm Vertical × 22.9cm Horizontal)
Release Date: June 11, 2014
Cinefex No.34 日本版/ Cinefex No.34 (Japanese Version)
■ 『GODZILLA ゴジラ』 GODZILLA
■ 『アメイジング・スパイダーマン2』 THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2
■ 『キャプテン・アメリカ/ウィンター・ソルジャー』 CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER
Publisher: Born Digital, Inc.
Size: A4 (28.5cm Vertical × 20.6cm Horizontal)
Release Date: September 27, 2014
Price: ￥1,500 (Approximately $14.69 US)/￥1,620 Tax-Included
For more information on Warner Bros and Legendary Pictures’ GODZILLA, please see the earlier coverage here on SciFi Japan:
- GODZILLA RETURNS!
- Legendary Pictures Previews GODZILLA and PACIFIC RIM at Comic-Con
- Legendary Pictures Sets GODZILLA Release Date
- Warner Bros and Legendary Announce Cast and Start of Production for GODZILLA
- GODZILLA (2014) Press Release
- Warner Bros Releases Trailer and Poster for GODZILLA
- Warner Bros Releases High-Res Photos from GODZILLA
- GODZILLA Textless Poster and French/Canadian Trailer
- New GODZILLA Poster and Textless Art from Warner Bros.
- New GODZILLA Roar from Warner Bros.
- New GODZILLA Trailer from Warner Bros.
- GODZILLA International Trailer
- GODZILLA (2014) Photo Gallery
- GODZILLA (2014) TV Spots
- GODZILLA (2014) Extended Look
- GODZILLA (2014) Licensed Product Guide
- GODZILLA Publicity Banners from Warner Bros.
- GODZILLA Production Notes and Images
- GODZILLA Final Credits
- GODZILLA (2014) Asia Trailer
- GODZILLA (2014) Video Clips
- GODZILLA Screens in Hollywood
- GODZILLA (2014) NYC Press Junket Report: It’s Big and Terrible
- GODZILLA Premieres in Hollywood
- “Godzilla Craves Italian” in FIAT Brand Commercial
- GODZILLA (2014) Review
- GODZILLA (2014) Cast Interview Videos
- Snickers Satisfies Godzilla
- GODZILLA (2014) Filmmaker Interview Videos
- GODZILLA (2014) Behind the Scenes Videos
- GODZILLA (2014) Review #2: Godzilla Endures
- GODZILLA (2014) EPK Interviews
- More GODZILLA (2014) TV Spots
- MAD Magazine Parodies GODZILLA
- Win the New Book Godzilla: The Art of Destruction!
- GODZILLA Continues Strong Performance at International Box Office
- Celebrate the Summer of Godzilla with SciFi JAPAN TV!
- IMAX Riding High on GODZILLA Success
- Outcast Network Unleashes The FIAT Brand’s “Godzilla” Spot
- FIAT Brand “Godzilla” Commercial Credits
- Godzilla – 24” Head To Tail with Sound Figure Coming from NECA in July
- GODZILLA Week 3 Box Office Report
- S.H.MonsterArts Godzilla (2014) Figure Coming in September/October 2014
- GODZILLA Week 4 Box Office Report
- Godzilla (2014) Maquette Contest from Sideshow Collectibles
- NECA Provides Closer Look at Godzilla – 24” Head To Tail with Sound Figure
- One-Day Sale on GODZILLA (2014) Merchandise from WBshop
- Godzilla – 2″ Mini Figures Series 1 from WizKids Games
- GODZILLA Week 5 Box Office Report: Monster King Roars in China
- GODZILLA ゴジラ OFFICIAL BOOK: New Japanese Release
- GODZILLA Week 6 Box Office Report
- GODZILLA Week 7 Box Office Report
- Bandai Movie Monster Series: Godzilla 2014 and Muto Figures
- Bandai Godzilla-E.G. Series: Godzilla 2014 and Muto
- Win Godzilla: The Official Movie Novelization!