GODZILLA Week 5 Box Office Report: Monster King Roars in China
Five weeks into its theatrical run, Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures’ GODZILLA dropped to seventh place at the domestic box office as the newly released sequels 22 JUMP STREET and HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 took the top two spots. But the King of the Monsters once again proved his might by jumping back to the top of the international box office with a massive opening weekend in China.
As the second largest theatrical market after North America, China was viewed as key to GODZILLA’s box office success. Warner Bros. gave the film a tremendous push there, releasing it on 9,000 screens across the country. Opening on Friday the 13th, GODZILLA exceeded expectations with a one-day haul of $10.9 million… the highest amount for any Chinese debut in 2014, and Warner Bros’ top opening ever in that nation. GODZILLA earned an additional $14.8 million on Saturday, again breaking records in China for Warner Bros. The latest estimates give the movie’s total weekend take in China at $36 million, including $4.5 million from IMAX screens (matching last year’s record-breaking IMAX opening for THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG).
Thanks to China, GODZILLA roared past $439 million worldwide. The film has now been released in sixty-three territories, with only Japan remaining. Toho will open GODZILLA there on July 25th.
GODZILLA weekend box office estimates (USD), per data collected as of Sunday, June 15, 2014…
Weekend BO Estimate
Weekend Release Cume
About Rentrak Corporation
Rentrak (NASDAQ: RENT) is the entertainment and marketing industries’ premier provider of worldwide consumer viewership information, precisely measuring actual viewing behavior of movies and TV everywhere. Using our proprietary intelligence and technology, combined with advanced demographics, only Rentrak is the census currency for VOD and Movies. Rentrak provides the stable and robust audience measurement services that movie, television and advertising professionals across the globe have come to rely on to better deliver their business goals and more precisely target advertising across numerous platforms including box office, multiscreen television and home video.
For more information on Warner Bros and Legendary Pictures’ GODZILLA, please see the earlier coverage here on SciFi Japan:
- GODZILLA RETURNS!
- Legendary Pictures Previews GODZILLA and PACIFIC RIM at Comic-Con
- Legendary Pictures Sets GODZILLA Release Date
- Warner Bros and Legendary Announce Cast and Start of Production for GODZILLA
- GODZILLA (2014) Press Release
- Warner Bros Releases Trailer and Poster for GODZILLA
- Warner Bros Releases High-Res Photos from GODZILLA
- GODZILLA Textless Poster and French/Canadian Trailer
- New GODZILLA Poster and Textless Art from Warner Bros.
- New GODZILLA Roar from Warner Bros.
- New GODZILLA Trailer from Warner Bros.
- GODZILLA International Trailer
- GODZILLA (2014) Photo Gallery
- GODZILLA (2014) TV Spots
- GODZILLA (2014) Extended Look
- GODZILLA (2014) Licensed Product Guide
- GODZILLA Publicity Banners from Warner Bros.
- GODZILLA Production Notes and Images
- GODZILLA Final Credits
- GODZILLA (2014) Asia Trailer
- GODZILLA (2014) Video Clips
- GODZILLA Screens in Hollywood
- GODZILLA (2014) NYC Press Junket Report: It’s Big and Terrible
- GODZILLA Premieres in Hollywood
- “Godzilla Craves Italian” in FIAT Brand Commercial
- GODZILLA (2014) Review
- GODZILLA (2014) Cast Interview Videos
- Snickers Satisfies Godzilla
- GODZILLA (2014) Filmmaker Interview Videos
- GODZILLA (2014) Behind the Scenes Videos
- GODZILLA (2014) Review #2: Godzilla Endures
- GODZILLA (2014) EPK Interviews
- More GODZILLA (2014) TV Spots
- MAD Magazine Parodies GODZILLA
- Win the New Book Godzilla: The Art of Destruction!
- GODZILLA Continues Strong Performance at International Box Office
- Celebrate the Summer of Godzilla with SciFi JAPAN TV!
- IMAX Riding High on GODZILLA Success
- Outcast Network Unleashes The FIAT Brand’s “Godzilla” Spot
- FIAT Brand “Godzilla” Commercial Credits
- Godzilla – 24” Head To Tail with Sound Figure Coming from NECA in July
- GODZILLA Week 3 Box Office Report
- S.H.MonsterArts Godzilla (2014) Figure Coming in September/October 2014
- GODZILLA Week 4 Box Office Report
- Godzilla (2014) Maquette Contest from Sideshow Collectibles
- NECA Provides Closer Look at Godzilla – 24” Head To Tail with Sound Figure
- One-Day Sale on GODZILLA (2014) Merchandise from WBshop
- Godzilla – 2″ Mini Figures Series 1 from WizKids Games