SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO North American Presskit
The news that the live-action film SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO (宇宙戦艦ヤマト, Supeesu Batorushippu Yamato, 2010) will finally receive a limited theatrical release in North America has caught the attention of fans. Beginning October 19, 2013 in Los Angeles, the movie will then screen in Honolulu, San Francisco, and Canada.
In response to SciFi Japan reader requests, theatrical distributor Eleven Arts Entertainment has provided some additional information…
• LA, SF, and Honolulu are the only markets confirmed at this moment for the United States, though more cities may be added based on demand from fans.
• The Canada screening locations may be confirmed this week.
• Following the theatrical run, SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO will be released on home video in North America. Check back with SciFi Japan for details soon.
The following SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO presskit is courtesy of Eleven Arts…
ELEVEN ARTS Presents SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO
A Film by Takashi Yamazaki (ALWAYS series, Japan Academy Prize winner)
Starring: Takuya Kimura (I COME WITH THE RAIN, HERO, 2046, HOWL’S MOVING CASTLE)
Coming to theaters in October 2013
RELEASE DATE: October 19, 2013 (North America)
RUNNING TIME: 138 min
LANGUAGE: Japanese with English subtitles
About SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO
The live-action film, SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO, is based on the Japanese sci-fi anime series of the same name. The series was originally broadcast in Japan in 1974. In North America, an English dubbed version of the series, known as STAR BLAZERS, aired in the United States in 1979.
The story is set in the year 2199. The Gamilas, a mysterious alien enemy, has been decimating the Earth to unlivable and irradiated conditions for the past 5 years. Humankind now lives underground to escape the radiation, but with only a year until extinction. One day while roaming the surface of Earth, former pilot Susumu Kodai (Takuya Kimura) comes across a capsule sent from the planet Iskandar that reveals there is technology that has the power to eradicate the radiation from Earth. A chosen crew of Space battleship Yamato takes off on the long trip to Iskandar with hopes to save the Earth.
Director Takashi Yamazaki Filmography
2002: RETURNER (リターナー, Ritaanaa)
2005: ALWAYS – SUNSET ON THIRD STREET (ALWAYS 三丁目の夕日, Always San-Chome no Yuhi)
2007: ALWAYS -SUNSET ON THIRD STREET- 2 (ALWAYS 続・三丁目の夕日, Always Zoku San-Chome no Yuhi)
2009: BALLAD (BALLAD 名もなき恋のうた, Ballad: Namonaki Koi no Uta)
2011: FRIENDS: NAKI ON MONSTER ISLAND (friends もののけ島のナキ, Friends: Mononoke Shima no Naki)
2012: ALWAYS -SUNSET ON THIRD STREET- 3 (ALWAYS 三丁目の夕日’64, Always San-Chome no Yuhi ’64)
Released in Japan: December 1, 2010
Language: Japanese with English Subtitles
Running Time: 138 min
Aspect Ratio: 1:2.35
Sound: Dolby Digital
Susumu Kodai: Takuya Kimura
Yuki Mori: Meisa Kuroki
Shiro Sanada: Toshiro Yanagiba
Daisuke Shima: Naoto Ogata
Hajime Saito: Hiroyuki Ikeuchi
Mamoru Kodai: Shinichi Tsutsumi
Dr. Sado: Reiko Takashima
Heikuro Todo: Isao Hashizume
Hikozaemon Tokugawa: Toshihiko Nishida
Juzo Okita: Tsutomu Yamazaki
Directed and VFX by: Takashi Yamazaki
Original Story: Yoshinobu Nishizaki
Screenplay: Shimako Sato
Music: Naoki Sato
Theme Song: “LOVE LIVES”/Steven Tyler (Sony Music Japan International)
Producers: Toshiaki Nakazawa, Kazuya Hamana
Cinematography: Kozo Shibasaki
Lighting: Sousuke Yoshikado
Sound: Hitoshi Tsurumaki
Art Direction: Anri Jojo
Editing: Ryuji Miyajima
About ELEVEN ARTS, INC.
ELEVEN ARTS is the Los Angeles based film distribution company that has brought many acclaimed Japanese films, live-action and animation, to North American audiences. ELEVEN ARTS’s major live-action titles include Japan Academy Awards winner MEMORIES OF TOMORROW (starring Ken Watanabe) and Oscar nominated director (with THE TWILIGHT SAMURAI in 2004) Yoji Yamada’s samurai film LOVE AND HONOR. ELEVEN ARTS is also a respected distributor of popular animation titles such as the EVANGELION franchise, FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST: THE SACRED STAR OF MILOS, and PUELLA MAGI MADOKA MAGICA THE MOVIE PART 1: BEGINNINGS/ PART 2: ETERNAL.
For more information on the SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO live action film please see the earlier coverage here on SciFi Japan:
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO: Triumph and Tragedy
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO on Australian DVD and Blu-ray
- Win Tickets to SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO, CURE or ZOMBIE ASS at Japan Cuts!
- J-POP Summit Festival Announces Japan Film Festival of San Francisco
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO Finally Hits North American Theaters in October 2013
And be sure to check out SFJ’s look back at the SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO anime:
- The Miyagawa Legacy
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO, Part 1: The Anime Classic That Nearly Wasn’t
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO, Part 2: From Valley to Peak
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO, Part 3: ARRIVEDERCI YAMATO Goodbye Dark Ages, Hello Global Village
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO, Part 4: We’re Off to Outer Space
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO, Part 5: THE NEW VOYAGES Plural
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO, Part 6: BE FOREVER YAMATO…and the Kitchen Sink
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO, Part 7: SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO III: The Ground Shifts
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO, Part 8: FINAL YAMATO: The Legacy Begins
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO, Part 9: Dessler’s War and More: SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO IN THE 80s
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO, Part 10: The Rollercoaster: SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO in the 90s
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO, Part 11: The Leiji Matsumoto Renaissance, SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO in the 21st Century
- YAMATO REBIRTH: An Eyewitness Account of the New Beginning
- SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO: RESURRECTION