EVANGELION Exhibition to Tour Australia in 2013
Madman Entertainment, in collaboration with NTV Films, Japan Foundation Sydney, The Arts Centre Gold Coast, and the Gold Coast Film Festival, are proud to announce a 2013 event tour that fans of Japanese popular culture and the EVANGELION franchise will not want to miss.
The exclusive exhibition will offer anime/manga, sci-fi and pop culture fans of all ages a unique and extensive insight into how the famed EVANGELION animated films were created — showcasing a collection of original concept and production art, character drawings and other key artifacts that provide a rare and fascinating glimpse at the behind the scenes artistry of Japanese anime film production.
A variety of rare and valuable EVANGELION books, statues, tapestries and other items will also be on display.
The exhibition will be on display at the Gold Coast City Gallery from Wednesday 17 April – Sunday 5 May 2013, followed by Sydney at the Japan Foundation Art Gallery from Friday May 10th – Saturday May 18th, and finally in Melbourne with a location and dates yet to be confirmed.
In the “Rebuild of EVANGELION” films — thus far, comprising EVANGELION 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE (ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版: 序, Evangelion Shin Gekijooban: Jo, 2007) and EVANGELION 2.0: YOU CAN (NOT) ADVANCE (ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版: 破, Evangelion Shin Gekijooban: Ha, 2009) — fourteen year old Shinji Ikari is called to Tokyo-3 by his estranged father, who heads up a secret government agency in charge of the development of a gigantic humanoid weapons system designed to fight alien invaders called Angels.
Despite the emotional burden of not having seen his father in 8 years, Shinji is enlisted to pilot the giant artificial human ‘Eva Unit One’. In the explosive ongoing storyline full of brutal action and primal emotion, Shinji becomes a key member of a group of young pilots tasked time and time again with maneuvering their towering cyborg Eva Units into combat against a relentless, deadly and disturbing enemy.
The third film of the series, EVANGELION: 3.0 YOU CAN (NOT) REDO (ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版：Q, Evangelion Shin Gekijooban: Kyuu, 2012) will be released this week in Japan and follow at a date to be confirmed in Australia in 2013.
Stay tuned for more information in the lead up to this exciting event.
For more information on “Rebuild of Evangelion” please see the earlier coverage here on SciFi Japan:
- Japanese Movies at American Film Market 2008
- Japan Film Festival- Los Angeles: April 10-26
- English Dub of EVANGELION: 1.0 YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE to Premiere at Anime Expo
- EVANGELION: 1.0 YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE Press Notes
- EVANGELION 2.0 Korean Release
- FUNimation Acquires EVANGELION: 2.0 YOU CAN (NOT) ADVANCE from NTV
- EVANGELION: 2.0 Gets North American Theatrical Release
- EVANGELION: 2.0 American Theatrical Release Update
- EVANGELION: 2.0 Canadian Theatrical Screenings Announced
- VIZ Cinema Kicks Off 2011 with Screenings of EVANGELION Feature Films
- EVANGELION: 2.0 US Theatrical Release Expands in March
- EVANGELION 2.22 on Region 1 DVD and Blu-ray
- Win EVANGELION 2.22 on DVD or Blu-ray!
- EVANGELION 2.22 Blu-ray and DVD Winners Announced!
- EVANGELION: 2.22 on UK DVD and Blu-ray in June
- EVANGELION: 2.22 on Australian DVD and Blu-ray in June