Revisit the World of DEATH NOTE in the New Black Edition from VIZ Media
Larger Size Edition of the Riveting Supernatural Crime Mystery Features Added Full Color Pages
Source: VIZ Media, MediaLab press releases
Official Site: Deathnote.viz.com
Special Thanks to Jane Lui and Erik Jansen
VIZ Media, LLC has announced the release of Death Note Black Edition, an oversized version of the acclaimed supernatural crime thriller. Volume 1 hits stores on December 28th and includes the first two editions of the popular manga series as well as added full-color pages. The Death Note Black Edition will be offered under the Shonen Jump Advanced imprint, is rated ‘T+’ for Older Teens, and will retail for $14.99 U.S. / $16.99 CAN.
Light Yagami is an ace student with great prospects— and he’s bored out of his mind. But all that changes when he finds the Death Note, a notebook dropped by rogue Shinigami death god. Any human whose name is written in the notebook dies, and now Light has vowed to use the power of the Death Note to rid the world of evil. But when criminals begin dropping dead, the authorities send the legendary detective L to track down the killer. With the brilliant detective L hot on his heels, will Light lose sight of his noble goal… or his life?
“Death Note took the manga world by storm and became an international bestseller with its sinister plot and captivating artwork,” says Beth Kawasaki, Sr. Editorial Director. “The Black Edition is an ideal way for those who never read the original series to finally see what the buzz is all about in six volumes versus the original 12-volume run. For established fans or anyone that might have missed later Death Note volumes, the new version also presents a great opportunity to revisit the series with its larger trade paperback size, new cover design, and bonus color pages.”
The original Death Note series, a 12-volume mystery created by writer Tsugumi Ohba and artist Takeshi Obata, continues to be a must-read among legions of ardent fans, having sold over 1.2 million copies in the U.S. to date. Death Note has spawned not only a fanbook (Death Note: How to Read 13) and two novels (Death Note Another Note: The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases and Death Note: L, Change the WorLd), all published by VIZ Media, but also a 37-episode animated series (available streamed online for free at VIZAnime.com and on DVD from VIZ Media), three live-action feature films and a plethora of related posters, toys and action figures. The DEATH NOTE manga and anime are both rated ‘T+’ for Older Teens.
For more information on other Shonen Jump titles, please visit ShonenJump.com.
About VIZ Media, LLC
Headquartered in San Francisco, CA, VIZ Media, LLC (VIZ Media), is one of the most comprehensive and innovative companies in the field of manga (graphic novel) publishing, animation and entertainment licensing of Japanese content. Owned by three of Japan’s largest creators and licensors of manga and animation, Shueisha Inc., Shogakukan Inc., and Shogakukan-Shueisha Productions, Co., Ltd., VIZ Media is a leader in the publishing and distribution of Japanese manga for English speaking audiences in North America, the United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa and is a global ex-Asia licensor of Japanese manga and animation.
The company offers an integrated product line including magazines such as Shonen Jump and Shojo Beat, graphic novels, and DVDs, and develops, markets, licenses, and distributes animated entertainment for audiences and consumers of all ages. Contact VIZ Media at 295 Bay Street, San Francisco, CA 94133; and web site at www.viz.com.
For more information on the DEATH NOTE series please see the earlier coverage here on SciFi Japan:
- AFM /AFI FEST REPORT #3: DEATH NOTE
- Record-breaking weekend for DEATH NOTE: THE LAST NAME
- DEATH NOTE Anime Series Comes to DVD from VIZ Media
- VIZ Pictures Licenses Theatrical and DVD Rights to Live Action DEATH NOTE Films
- Directors to Attend Vancouver Screenings of DEATH NOTE and THE iDol
- DEATH NOTE Live-Action Film on R1 DVD
- VIZ Media Announces Anime Releases for Fall 2008
- DEATH NOTE II: THE LAST NAME U.S. Theatrical Event!
- Win Tickets to See DEATH NOTE Movies in Canada and US
- NY Anime Festival Sponsors DEATH NOTE Day at Kinokuniya
- DEATH NOTE II: THE LAST NAME Ticket Winners!
- DEATH NOTE II: THE LAST NAME Press Notes
- Canadian Theatrical Debut of DEATH NOTE II: THE LAST NAME
- DEATH NOTE II: THE LAST NAME on Region 1 DVD from VIZ Pictures
- DEATH NOTE: L, change the WorLd U.S. Theatrical Event!
- Win Tickets to See DEATH NOTE: L, change the WorLd on April 29
- DEATH NOTE: L, change the WorLd Ticket Winners!
- DEATH NOTE: L, change the WorLd Press Notes
- NY Anime Festival and VIZ Pictures to Hold DEATH NOTE Day
- DEATH NOTE: L, change the WorLd on Region 1 DVD
- Two New DEATH NOTE Box Sets in the UK
- Death Note: L, change the WorLd Novelization now Available
- DEATH NOTE Movie Collection Coming to Blu-ray
- VIZ Pictures to Release First Blu-Ray: DEATH NOTE COLLECTION
- Win DEATH NOTE Blu-ray or BATTLE LEAGUE HORUMO DVD!
- DEATH NOTE Blu-ray and BATTLE LEAGUE HORUMO DVD Winners Announced
- DEATH NOTE 1 & 2 Blu-ray Collection Comes to UK